Director of Development and Communications - Long Beach Day Nursery (Long Beach, CA)
Summary of the Position
The Director of Development and Communications is a full-time position located in our historic building in Long Beach. This position requires a highly motivated person to provide leadership for the planning and implementation of a comprehensive fundraising and communications strategy to include solicitation of individuals and institutions, grant writing, fiscal management, special events, marketing and public relations for LBDN. This position reports directly to the Executive Director and works in a small team environment. This position will supervise one full-time employee.
About Long Beach Day Nursery
Long Beach Day Nursery (LBDN) is the first licensed childcare program in Long Beach, the first to meet the high standards required for accreditation by the National Association of the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), and the oldest continuously licensed private social welfare agency in the State of California. We celebrated 100 years of service in 2012!
The mission of the Long Beach Day Nursery is to provide quality early care and education for young children of working parents.
Essential Responsibilities include:
- Secure financial support from foundations, corporations and individuals by developing, executing and managing a comprehensive fundraising strategy.
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with foundation and corporate prospects as well as cultivate, solicit and steward individual donors in collaboration with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors
- Plan and coordinate benefit events such as banquets, balls, tournaments, and/or auctions.
- Write foundation and corporate grant proposals and develop and write annual giving campaigns and individual donor appeals.
- Manage the organization's donor database.
- Develop and implement donor recognition and acknowledgements
- Develop plans of action to implement a major/planned-giving program involving board participation and donor outreach activities.
- Manage process for reporting to donors including reports to foundations or corporate grantors, planned gift donors and individual supporters as needed.
- Develop and implement a communications strategy to support the organization's programmatic and fundraising goals, including media outreach, website, social media, collateral marketing materials and publications.
- Cultivates strong media and public relations opportunities including print, electronic and broadcast media.
- Prepare the annual fund raising budget and annual Development Department-operating budget.
- Establish development policies, systems, and procedures for the effective and efficient operations of the Development Department
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with organization's policies and applicable laws.
Education and/or Experience
- 5 to 10 years of diverse and broad, development experience, including five years at management level, with documented success in donor identification and research, major gifts, planned gifts, public relations, board relations, and special events. Development experience in the childcare/early childhood education field preferred.
- Demonstrated excellence in writing in all genres, including but not limited to grant proposals, business memos, expository, news releases, speeches.
- Thorough knowledge of computer systems appropriate to the requirements of the position, including proficiency with MS Office Suite products and experience with fund-raising donor database software required. Experience with Donor Perfect a plus.
- A Bachelor's Degree is required and/or Master's Degree preferred and/or equivalent work experience. .
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal skills and experience working as part of a team, collaborating with colleagues and the ability to maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Experience in strategic planning, budget development, and management.
- Encourages and practices critical thinking.
- Is self-reflective and empathic.
- Recognizes the influence of workplace relationships on outcomes and results.
- Maintains a respectful and accepting approach to others.
- Awareness of the influence of the larger context on individual behavior.
- Supports the work efforts of colleagues at all levels and in all areas of the organization.
Physical Demands include:
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
This position is eligible for employer-paid medical insurance and life insurance. Dental and vision insurance is available at employee cost. Also available â 403(b), Flexible Spending Account (pursuant to Section 125 of IRS code), Employee Assistance Program, LBS Credit Union membership..
• Post ID: 28596383 longbeach